CONTROLLER (SMALL BIZ)-HOUSTON (EAST: 610/I-10): $90-$120K + BONUS/BEN
Our Client (or “the Company”) is an established and privately-owned
Houston-based niche LOGISTICS company serving the oilfield in Texas and
- HOUSTON HQ -SMALL BUSINESS/PRIMARY OPERATIONS IN TX & LA - Our
Client has 80 employees (mostly non-Union field personnel, with many
long-tenured employees), including 18 in HQ: the 2-person Management Team
(President/CEO and COO), this Controller and 4 others in Accounting. The
Company operates from HQ and serves customers in the oilfields in Texas and
- KEY POSITION WITH SEASONED/REPUTABLE/SUCCESSFUL MANAGEMENT – Led by
a skilled and experienced - person team, this CFO/Controller will be a
trusted advisor, handling Accounting, Finance, HR and IT for the Company.
POSITION DUTIES: Reporting to the President/CEO, who joined the Company in
the late 1970s, the CONTROLLER will manage the Company’s accounting,
finance, HR and IT activities, with duties as follows:
- OVERALL - Managing all accounting functions including, but not
limited to, general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll,
P & L and Balance Sheets
- MONTHLY CLOSE – Preparing and/or supervising month-end journal
entries, Reconciling the General Ledger Accounts, Closing the GL, and
preparing and presenting monthly financial statements to Management.
- MANAGEMENT REPORTING – Communicating Company progress to the
President/CEO and other members of management and providing any assistance
- CASH MANAGEMENT/BUDGETING – Managing cash and providing strategic
planning; budget preparation, budget proposals, and preparing necessary
supporting documentation and justification for proposed budgets.
- PLANNING & FORECASTING - Developing monthly, quarterly, and annual
forecasts using models, historical information, and sales forecasts.
- ACCOUNTS PAYABLE - Providing direct supervision of accounts
payable, including verifying accuracy of vouchers paid.
- ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE - Reviewing receivables and collections.
- PAYROLL – Supervising Payroll, Direct Deposits, Payroll Taxes, etc.
- TAXES – Ensuring proper amounts and paying property, fuel and other
related taxes. Providing the external local Houston CPA Firm with reconciled
financial statements on an annual basis for preparation of all tax returns.
- RISK MANAGEMENT – Assisting the President/CEO with Insurance
Coverage; Monitoring accounting to ensure credit risk is mitigated.
- HUMAN RESOURCES – Overseeing the Human Resources function including
benefits, compensation plans and labor laws.
- PROCESSES/PROCEDURES/CONTROLS - Developing and improving accounting
processes and procedures to provide accurate reporting of financial
information with emphasis on internal control, and ability to adjust
appropriately to market fluctuations and trends.
- OTHER VALUE ADDED - Responsibility and accountability for IT and
other functions and special projects as directed and to be determined on own
- MANAGERIAL & SUPERVISORY - Supervising, developing and assessing
the performance of 4 Direct Reports: Accounting Manager, Accounts Payable,
Accounts Receivable, Human Resources/Payroll Specialist.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- BASE SALARY in $90,000 to $120,000 range, commensurate with
- BONUS: Paid annually and based upon Company and Individual
- 401(K) PLAN – With Company matching, which is flexible from year to
year, from 100% match to 25% match, depending upon Company performance
- Company-subsidized Medical & Life (75%/15% Employee/Dependents);
$50,000 Life Insurance
- At least 2 weeks of vacations initially in addition to customary US
- Reimbursement of all necessary and approved CPA and CPE expenses
- Free parking and Business Casual every day, including nice jeans
- GREAT HOURS: Typically, 8 to 5
- NO TRAVEL!
- Degreed with Small Business Accounting Manager/Controller