LOCATION Washington, DC
MISSION Emerge America and the Emerge affiliates share one mission: To increase the number of Democratic women leaders from diverse backgrounds in public office through recruitment, training, and providing a powerful network. Our vision: To change the face of power, politics, and leadership in this country in order to have policies that are responsive to all.
As the national umbrella organization, Emerge America’s role is to:
- Elevate the importance of electing more Democratic women at every level of the ballot.
- Empower our current alumnae and affiliates with support and capacity-building.
- Expand our impact by replicating our success in new states.
Social Media/Digital Engagement (55%)
- Work with Communications Director to build a digital strategy that complements the overall communications strategy of the organization, including maintaining a social media publishing calendar;
- Help Communications Director with conceptualization, strategy, and implementation of social media campaigns;
- Manage Emerge America’s social media channels, posting multiple times daily and ensuring the social media tactics and strategies we use align with our larger communication and organizational goals;
- Sharpen Emerge America’s digital voice, responding to and actively engaging social media followers and influencers;
- Make compelling social media graphics and multimedia content (memes/gifs/photo stories/videos) that highlight our alums and piggyback on current events, politics, and relevant social media conversations;
- Collect, track, and analyze our digital metrics with an eye toward increasing engagement and growing our audience and use that information to inform tactics and strategy;
- Stay on top of new digital tactics, trends, and tools, and lead the adoption of those that will best help us increase our audience and engagement rates;
- Assist Emerge America’s 24 state affiliates with digital and social needs and provide them with regular sample tweets and graphics that coincide with announcements, current events, and other developments;
- Assist with general communications and writing needs as they arise, such as drafting social media plans, emails, one-pagers, etc.;
- Other duties as assigned by the Communications Director.
- Work with Communications Director to populate content on and launch Emerge America’s new website;
- Manage the content population and launch of Emerge America’s 24 state affiliates’ websites; Regularly inventory state sites to ensure that they are being updated;
- Keep Emerge America’s website up-to-date by updating articles, press releases, and other content on a regular basis;
- Advise on strategies for expanding and improving SEO and increasing engagement on the website.
- Work with Communications Director to oversee the email program in conjunction with our email firm and Emerge America’s Finance Director;
- Work with email firm to come up with topics for emails to be sent out to Emerge America’s list;
- Edit email copy provided by email firm before it is sent for final approval.
- Enthusiasm for the advancement of Democratic women in politics;
- 2 – 4 years of experience working with digital communications and social media management (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.), digital content creation, and/or website management in a professional setting;
- A proven record building online audiences and increasing followers on social media channels;
- Experience creating graphics and other multimedia content on Adobe Creative Suite and Canva;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Excellent follow-through and accountability;
- Outstanding organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to prioritize tasks and keep track of multiple projects;
- Ability to create and maintain friendly and professional relationships with staff, key stakeholders, and donors;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to think creatively and work independently;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Excellent web and technology skills and comfort trouble-shooting with technology;
- Comfortable learning new technical/computer skills, as they arise.
- Experience working for a political organization;
- Experience working on a campaign;
Job Schedule and Location
The Digital Media Manager will work in the Emerge America office from 9am – 6pm, Monday through Friday. Some evening and weekends will be required, with travel 1-2 times per year. This position is located in the Emerge America Washington, DC office located on Capitol Hill. It is accessible by public transportation.
Salary and Benefits
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience
How to apply
Please send a resume and cover letter with the email subject “Emerge America Digital Media Manager Application” to email@example.com. In your cover letter, include a description of how your background aligns with this position and an explanation of your interest in women in politics. Please create three sample tweets and a social media graphic for Women’s History Month in 2018 that you would push out from Emerge America.
Emerge America will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. NO CALLS PLEASE.
Emerge America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.